Touch Type Software for Children & Adults
The Educational typing tutor!
English Type Junior for ages 7 – 11
English Type Senior for ages 12 – adult
Are you a School or Teacher?
So why teach your child to type by touch?
Touch typing could be one of the most valuable skills your primary school child will ever learn. For children with Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, ASD and other Special Needs or Neurodivergent brains, touch typing provides a very different option for written work and it can have a very significant effect, completely changing how they feel about written work.
Did you know?
When you type by touch, a different part of your brain is in control
When you can type without looking down at the keyboard, your unconscious is in control of what’s happening (it’s like changing gear in a car – you think it and your body does the rest).
What’s in control is the “muscle memory”; also known as your physical skill centre – it really does “let your fingers do the talking”.
This part of the brain automates operations and skills, so that once learned, the process part is unconscious. There are so many advantages to this part of the brain being in control, for example…
- Type more accurately
- Type faster
- Keep your eyes on the screen, no dividing of the
attention between the screen and the keyboard
- Your mind is free to concentrate on content & quality of writing
- It’s a different, effective way to spell; words are finger movements and patterns on the keyboard not strings of letters
Why should I choose English Type
Englishtype uses a unique colour coding system to build the muscle memory effectively & efficiently. It’s essential NOT TO SEE the letters while learning to type by touch or the muscle memory will not build. Each finger has its own unique colour – onscreen and on the physical keyboard. Making a coloured keyboard gives a big boost to learning and can be done very cheaply. A little practice every day (eg. 20 mins) can have great results in 12 weeks.
English Type Junior
Touchtyping for kids was developed by an experienced Educational Psychologist especially for UK schools. It has been used in the classroom and at home by thousands of children and with input from teachers all over the country.
- Supports general literacy learning: improves reading, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Follows Key Stages 1-3 of the National Curriculum… select from 4 levels of language difficulty.
- Uses all the words in the National Literacy Strategy.
- Uses real words from Lesson 1, and does not use nonsense words or jibberish that can be very confusing, and even damaging, to literacy skills.
- Uses spelling lessons containing high frequency non-phonic words, letter combinations, homophones & phonemes.
- LESSONS – include Main lessons, Extra lessons and Numbers & Symbols.
- Special SPELLING lessons.
- BOOSTER – patterns, words and phrases to boost speed.
- TYPE TESTS – assess ability.
- AWARDS – rewards for achievements.
- OUTFITS – change the look of Qwerty.
- DIARY – record of the days and time spent learning.
English Type Senior
Englishtype Senior is a version of the best selling children’s typing tutor, Englishtype Junior, designed for older students. Englishtype Senior was developed by an experienced Educational Psychologist and is designed to boost literacy at the same time as teaching typing.
- Supports general literacy learning: improves reading, spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Uses age appropriate, relevant & useful vocabulary including the 300 most common words in adult English language
- Uses real words from Lesson 1, and does not use nonsense words or jibberish that can be very confusing, and even damaging, to literacy skills
- Uses quotations and proverbs to add interest
- A multi-sensory approach
- Strong colour coding
- Visually simple & uncluttered presentation style
- Both spoken & written instructions
- Choice of background screen colours
- Highly structured content
English Type Schools & Teachers
Englishtype was designed by an Educational Psychologist especially for use in UK schools. Unlike other typing tutors, it is designed to maximise additional educational benefits at the same time as teaching typing. Englishtype is ideal for mixed ability groups in the classroom, challenging the brightest children whilst providing extra help for Special Needs children. It has been tested in classroom with thousands of children and developed & improved with input from teachers all over the world.
English Type Junior (PC)
English Type Junior (Mac)
English Type Senior (PC)
English Type Senior (Mac)
Get in touch!
If you would like any further information for any of the English Type products complete the form here and we will get back to you.